Scratch Music: Scratch is built essentially for children who are interested in coding and game development. It is a visual programming language that enables children to make different types of fun and colourful projects, which include animations, games, stories, and much more! Scratch is the world’s largest coding community for children and a coding language with a simple visual interface that allows young people to create digital stories, games, and animations. Scratch was created by Mitchel Resnick at the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab.
It is designed, developed, and moderated by the Scratch Foundation, a non-profit organization. It is suitable for all ages, especially for children above the age of 8, as it helps them learn about the fundamentals of coding with block-based coding in a fun and creative way. Now let us see if the importance of Scratch programming makes it preferred so much by coders, especially children.
This is Chapter 4.7 in the
Advanced Scratch Tutorial
How to Add Scratch Music to your Projects?
There are many ways you can add or create music to your projects. Let’s discuss the first one, which is a very easy and straightforward way.
How to Add Music from Scratch Music Library?
- Step 1: Click on “Sounds” in the upper left corner of the panel, next to “Costumes“.
- Step 2: Now that you have clicked on the “Sound” panel, you can see the sound settings, and a default “meow” sound is already selected. You can crop the sound according to your needs or choose another one by going to the “sound” icon in the lower left-hand corner, as shown in the image below.
- Step 3: Click on “Choose a Sound” and it’ll take you to the Scratch music library with hundreds of pre-recorded sounds.
- Step 4: Now select the sound that you for your sprite from the library and it’ll be automatically selected for your sprite.
How to Record Scratch Music for Your Projects?
You can make Scratch music in two ways; one by uploading an external sound downloaded to your computer or by recording.
- Step 1: Open the Scratch editor and click on the “Record” option, as shown in the image below.
- Step 2: Record your music by clicking on the “Record” icon. Record the music that you want in your project. Stop recording after you have gotten your desired music.
- Step 3: You can also edit the recorded music. Listen to the finished version of your recorded music and click on “Save” and it’ll automatically be added to your project.
How To Upload Scratch Music?
You can also upload any sound or music you want to add to your project from your computer.
- Step 1: Open the Scratch editor and click on the “Upload” option, as shown in the image below.
- Step 2: Now a pop-up screen will show up asking you to select the music you want to upload from your computer. Now, select the music that you want for your project from your computer.
- Step 3: Your selected music will be automatically uploaded to your project. You can edit the uploaded music too. You can upload any particular sound, recording, or song to your project!
How to Add Music on Scratch from YouTube?
You can also download your favorite music from Youtube and upload it to Scratch! Here’s how;
- Step 1: Go to YouTube and search for the music you want to be uploaded to your Scratch project.
- Step 2: After you have found the music you want to add, copy the URL of the song, as shown in the image below.
- Step 3: Now you have to convert this video into MP3 to make it a song. Here we have used freeconvert.com to convert this song into MP3. Select the URL option from the drop-down menu and paste the YouTube URL for the song.
- Step 4: After the conversion is complete, download the MP3 music to your computer.
- Step 5: Now that you have the music as MP3 you have uploaded it to your Scratch project following the above guide where it is shown how to upload audio from your computer.
How to Create a Music Loop in your Projects?
After selecting your preferred sound, you also have to make sure that it plays throughout your project or certain parts of your project.
Adding Scratch Music in Forever Loop
- Step 1: Drag and drop the block “when the green flag is clicked” from the Events section.
- Step 2: Next you need another block to execute the music loop. From the Control section drag and drop the “forever” block if you want the sound throughout your project.
Adding Scratch Music for a Certain Number of Times
If you want the music to play a certain number of times or for a specific part, for example, you want a celebration sound whenever the cat jumps over an obstacle. For this, drag and drop the “repeat” block and set your condition.
Adding Scratch Music From the Extension option
You can also add more interesting instrumental music from the extension option at the bottom of the list.
FAQs on Scratch Music
The frequently asked questions on Scratch Music are given below:
Q 1: Is Scratch music free?
A 1: Scratch is a free application and all its features are also free.
Q 2: How to add music on Scratch?
A 2: Click on the “Sound” option on the screen next to the “Costumes” option. There you can add music from the Scratch music library or record your own music or upload an external sound from your computer. You can also explore many different types of music added to different projects by other scratchers.
Q 3: How to make music on Scratch?
A 3: To create your own music on Scratch you can record your own music. Read the above article for more details.
Q 4: How to add background music in Scratch?
A 4: Click on the “Sound” option located in the upper left corner of your scratch platform, next to “Costumes”. It’ll take you to another page where you can access pre-made sounds on Scratch by clicking on the speaker icon at the lower upper left corner. You should also keep it in a “forever” loop as it is a background sound and you would want it to be played throughout your project.
Q 5: What is Scratch music studio?
A 5: There are many studios in Scratch where Scratchers have added music for other coders to use. These studios have many well-known songs of different genres too, like rap music.
Q 6: Is there Indian music in Scratch Music?
A 6: You can find music of many genres, including Indian music, from different Scratch studios.
Q 7: How to stop music in Scratch?
A 7: To stop music in the Scratch project, use the block code “Stop all sounds” Use this block to stop all sounds.
Q 8: Does Scratch have music?
A 8: Yes, Scratch has a music library with hundreds of pre-recorded music.
Q 9: How do you download music on Scratch?
A 9: You don’t download music on Scratch, you upload music to Scratch projects.
As Scratch is majorly used by children between the ages of 8-16, its user interface is designed in a simple kid-friendly way. Even adding music to your projects is pretty straightforward. One of many reasons why it is favored by children but also by well-known programmers for coding and game development. Good programmers can also become teachers here and teach children about coding and game development. So, what are you waiting for? Create an account today and begin coding!
Happy with the blog? Leave a comment below to let us know what more topics you want us to cover.