Are you a parent searching for the best way to help your child excel in their academic pursuits? As a parent, it’s frustrating to see your child struggling with academics.
With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right program that fits your child’s learning style and needs.
Although two of the most popular programs that are often compared in this discussion are Sylvan and Kumon.
In this article, we will explore the similarities and differences between the two programs, and help you make an informed decision that will benefit your child’s academic success.
Whether you’re a concerned parent or a student looking for extra education support, read on to find out which program is best among Sylvan vs Kumon.
What is Sylvan?
Sylvan is a private tutoring and education company that provides personalized instruction to students of all ages and skill levels.
Sylvan Learning offers a range of services, including academic tutoring, test preparation, STEM programs, and college admissions counseling.
Their tutoring programs are designed to help students improve their academic performance and build confidence in their abilities.
Sylvan Learning uses a personalized approach to education, with each student receiving an individualized learning plan tailored to their specific needs and goals.
Their certified teachers use a variety of teaching techniques, such as interactive technology and hands-on activities, to engage students and help them achieve their full potential.
How does Sylvan work?
Sylvan Learning works by providing personalized instruction to students in different subjects and areas of study. The first step is to assess the student’s current academic level and identify areas of strengths and weaknesses.
This is done through diagnostic tests, evaluations, and consultations with parents and teachers.
Based on the assessment results, a customized learning plan is created for the student. The plan outlines specific goals, objectives, and strategies to help the student improve in their targeted areas of need.
The student is then matched with a certified Sylvan teacher who provides one-on-one or small-group instruction.
The teacher uses a variety of teaching methods and materials, including technology, to engage the student and help them master the subject matter.
Sylvan Learning closely monitors the student’s progress through regular assessments and progress reports.
The learning plan is adjusted as needed to ensure the student is making steady progress toward their goals.
Throughout the process, Sylvan Learning maintains regular communication with parents, teachers, and the student to ensure everyone is informed and engaged in the learning process.
Subjects covered by Sylvan
Sylvan Learning offers personalized instruction in a wide range of subjects and areas of study. Here are some of the subjects and skills typically covered by Sylvan:
|Reading||Sylvan offers programs to help students develop strong reading skills, including phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency.|
|Writing||Sylvan provides instruction in all aspects of writing, from grammar and sentence structure to essay writing and creative writing.|
|Math||Sylvan offers math programs that cover everything from basic math skills to advanced algebra, geometry, and calculus.|
|Test Prep||Sylvan provides test preparation services for a variety of exams, including the SAT, ACT, PSAT, GRE, and more.|
|STEM||Sylvan offers programs in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), including robotics, coding, and game design.|
|Study skills||Sylvan provides instruction in study skills and time management techniques to help students improve their organization, focus, and productivity.|
|College admissions||Sylvan offers college admissions counseling to help students navigate the college application process, including essay writing, test preparation, and interview skills.|
What is the minimum age for kids to enroll in Sylvan?
Sylvan Learning does not have a strict minimum age requirement for students to enroll in their programs.
They offer services for students of all ages, from kindergarten through high school and beyond.
Source: Sylvan Official Website
The tutoring fees at Sylvan Learning Center differ based on location. However, they offer several options based on your needs and goals:
- Tutoring starts at $49 per hour
- Classes and camps start at $199
- ACT and SAT Prep classes start at $999
Source: Sylvan Official Website
Pros of Sylvan
There are various advantages of Sylvan, which include
- Personalized Instruction: Sylvan provides customized instruction tailored to the specific needs of each student. This approach helps ensure that students receive the support they need to build their skills and confidence.
- Certified Instructors: Sylvan’s instructors are certified and trained to teach a variety of subjects, including reading, writing, math, and test preparation. This ensures that students receive quality instruction from knowledgeable and experienced teachers.
- Technology-Enabled Learning: Sylvan uses technology, including online tools and resources, to enhance the learning experience and engage students in the material.
- Ongoing Progress Monitoring: Sylvan closely monitors each student’s progress and adjusts their learning plan as needed to ensure they are making steady progress toward their goals.
- Flexible Scheduling: Sylvan offers flexible scheduling, including after-school and weekend sessions, to accommodate busy schedules and help students balance their academic and extracurricular activities.
Cons of Sylvan
While Sylvan Learning has many potential benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider:
- Cost: The cost of Sylvan learning vary significantly between different learning centers.
- Limited Availability: While Sylvan has many locations around the world, it may not be available in all areas. Students may need to travel a significant distance to access Sylvan’s services.
- Learning Style: Sylvan’s teaching approach may not be suitable for all students, particularly those who require more hands-on or interactive learning experiences.
That was all about Sylvan. Now, let’s look at Kumon and its features.
What is Kumon?
Kumon is one of the most popular after-school tutoring programs for students, which helps them to perform well in school by developing various essential skills, like confidence, critical thinking skills, and the mindset to learn from study materials independently.
It also helps in developing strong problem-solving and calculation skills, which helps students in dealing with mainly the concepts of algebra.
This makes it a perfect option for all those students who want to learn or develop good math skills.
Apart from math, Kumon also has a reading program where they help students in building reading ability which helps them in understanding basic sentences.
How does Kumon work?
Kumon is an individualized learning program that focuses on building strong foundational skills in math and reading. One of the best things about Kumon is it follows its own method of teaching known as the Kumon Method.
As per the Kumon method, when a student enrolls in the program, they are first assessed to determine their current skill level.
Based on the results of the assessment, a personalized learning plan is developed that target the areas where the student needs improvement.
The Kumon method is designed to allow students to progress at their own pace. Students are provided with worksheets to complete independently each day.
As they complete each worksheet, they are given immediate feedback on their work, and they move on to the next worksheet in the series.
One of the key features of the Kumon method is its emphasis on repetition and mastery. The method is designed to help students master each skill before moving on to the next one.
This approach helps to build a strong foundation of knowledge and skills that students can draw upon as they progress through more advanced coursework.
In addition to the worksheets, Kumon also provides students with support materials, such as videos and study guides, to help reinforce their learning.
Subjects covered by Kumon
Kumon offers programs in math and reading for students of all ages and abilities, from preschoolers to high school students.
Here are some of the subjects and skills typically covered by Kumon:
|Math||Covers a wide range of topics, from basic counting and number recognition to advanced calculus and much more.|
|Reading||This program emphasizes vocabulary, comprehension, and critical thinking skills.|
|Writing and Language learning||This program focuses on covering different languages, such as Japanese, Spanish, and French.|
What is the minimum age for kids to enroll in Kumon?
Kumon accepts students as young as three years old for their Early Learner’s program, which focuses on developing pre-reading and pre-math skills.
However, the majority of Kumon centers start accepting students at the age of four or five years old.
Although, Kumon’s programs are individualized and designed to cater to each student’s unique abilities and learning pace. Therefore, while age may be a factor in determining eligibility, it’s not the only consideration.
Kumon instructors typically assess each child’s skills and abilities before recommending an appropriate starting point in the program.
Source: Kumon Official Website
Most of the Kumon centers are individually owned and operated, so each center has its own fees which depend on the location and subject matter being taught.
The primary factor that determines the cost for Kumon students is whether they are enrolled in math, reading, or both.
However, the monthly fee for Kumon can range from $150 to $200 per subject. Although high school students and those at higher levels may have to pay a higher fee, all sessions have the same duration.
Source: Kumon Official Website
Pros of Kumon
There are several pros of Kumon online tutoring, including:
- Personalized Learning: Kumon online tutoring provides a personalized learning plan for each student based on their current level of knowledge and learning goals. This means that students can work at their own pace and receive individualized attention from their tutor.
- Focus on Skill Building: Kumon helps students in developing problem-solving skills, calculation skills, and reading abilities. So if your child has a problem in math or wants to improve their skills in reading, then Kumon is a great option to consider.
- Convenience: Online tutoring provides students with the convenience of learning from anywhere, at any time. With Kumon online tutoring, students can schedule their sessions according to their own availability and take classes from the comfort of their own homes.
- Focus on Mastery: Kumon allows students to learn and master basic concepts through repetitive worksheet solving. This help students in mastering the basic concepts, which will further help them to easily understand complex topics.
- Helps in Developing Soft Skills: Kumon provides worksheets to students that they need to solve on a daily basis. This helps in developing strong concentration skills and daily study habits among students.
Cons of Kumon
Even though Kumon has lots of benefits, it still has some negative points which you should know. So, a few disadvantages of Kumon are
- Lack of Interest: Kumon follows the approach of solving the same worksheet multiple times until the student understands the topics clearly. Since students have to do the same worksheet on repeat, it might become boring and leads to students losing their interest.
- Lack of Personal Interaction: Online tutoring can lack the personal interaction that in-person tutoring provides. Some students may find it difficult to establish a connection with their online tutor, which can impact their motivation and engagement.
- Pressure Building: Kumon focuses on helping kids and developing skills and knowledge by asking students to solve their worksheets on a daily basis. However, this procedure followed by Kumon may cause stress among the students as if some students are not able to solve the worksheet on time, then the pressure among the student might increase. This will bring a lot of damage to the kids rather than developing their skills.
- Limited Social Interaction: Online tutoring can limit a student’s social interaction with peers, which can be an important aspect of learning and personal growth. Students may miss out on opportunities to build relationships and collaborate with others in a physical classroom setting.
Sylvan vs Kumon: Which One is Better?
The following table can help in easily determining which platform will be a good choice for you based on different parameters.
|Subjects||Sylvan provides guidance and instruction for various subjects, including STEM, math, reading, and writing.||Kumon provides guidance and instruction for math and reading.|
|Cost||The tutoring fees at Sylvan Learning Center differ based on location. However, the tutoring sessions roughly cost $49 per hour.||Kumon works on a profit motive. This means that students in Kumon have to pay some specific amount.|
|Delivery Format||Sylvan provides physical classes as well as virtual classes.||Kumon provides physical classes as well as virtual classes.|
|Learning Plan Format||Sylvan provides one-on-one tutoring with an individualized learning plan.||Kumon provides a customized learning plan which is prepared based on the results of an assessment.|
Why Wiingy is a great choice for online tutoring?
While Kumon and Khan Academy are excellent options for your child’s education, there is another pocket-friendly online tutoring service worth considering. Meet Wiingy – an affordable one-on-one tutoring service for various subjects, including math and science.
Wiingy’s online tutoring sessions start at just $22 per hour, significantly less expensive than the average cost of other tutoring services. With no long-term commitment required, you can pay only for the hours you need.
Whether your child needs help with test preparation, assignments, or grasping complex concepts, Wiingy offers flexible scheduling to accommodate their needs.
What sets Wiingy apart from other online tutoring services is the quality of their tutors. The tutors in Wiingy are highly qualified, experienced, and verified experts who have a lot of experience and knowledge in their specific subjects.
At Wiingy, we have a strong screening process with a <3% selection rate to ensure you only get top tutors. Our tutors have consistently rated the experience 4.8/5 and above from learners.
Furthermore, Wiingy offers a Perfect Match Guarantee, allowing you to replace your tutor if they don’t fit your needs after your first class, completely free of charge.
Wiingy also offers a free-trial lesson within 24 hours to new students to help them in getting familiar with Wiingy’s tutors, so don’t miss your chance of exploring Wiingy and book your free lesson now.
With Wiingy, your child can receive expert guidance and support from wherever they are, making it an excellent option for completing homework, assignments, and learning complicated topics such as trigonometry and calculus.
As you consider the options available, don’t forget to explore the benefits of Wiingy and how it could be the perfect solution for your child’s academic success.
FAQs on Sylvan vs Kumon
How is Sylvan different from Kumon?
While both Sylvan and Kumon are private tutoring companies, there are some notable differences between the two.
Sylvan offers a wider range of tutoring services and can help students in a variety of subjects.
On the other hand, Kumon’s focus is on developing strong math and reading skills.
Is Sylvan good at math?
Yes, Sylvan offers excellent math tutoring services. They have experienced and highly qualified math tutors who work with students one-on-one to develop their math skills and help them achieve their academic goals.
How long does a typical Sylvan or Kumon program last?
The length of a typical program can vary depending on the student’s needs and academic goals.
Sylvan offers both short-term and long-term tutoring programs, with sessions lasting anywhere from a few weeks to several months.
Kumon’s program is self-paced and can take anywhere from a few months to several years to complete.
Does Sylvan help with reading?
Yes, Sylvan offers reading tutoring services. Their reading programs are designed to help students of all ages and skill levels improve their reading comprehension, fluency, and vocabulary.
They use a personalized approach to teaching reading, which means that each student receives individualized instruction based on their specific needs and learning style.
How qualified are the tutors at Sylvan and Kumon?
Both Sylvan and Kumon employ qualified tutors who have experience working with students of all ages and abilities.
Sylvan’s tutors are certified teachers, while Kumon’s instructors undergo extensive training to ensure that they are equipped to help students succeed.