- Get organized. Learn about the AP exams schedule and start planning your study time.
- Develop a study strategy. Use helpful tips and tricks to create a study plan that works for you.
- Find the right resources. Take advantage of the many resources available to students, such as textbooks, online resources, and practice tests.
Are you struggling with how to prepare for AP exams or when should I start studying for AP exams? You are not alone.
AP exams are a great way to earn college credit while you’re still in high school. Preparing for your AP exams can stressful task and it is natural to feel that way. Many students begin preparing for AP exams one to three months before the test date. But aimless preparation won’t result in any fruitful outcomes. Students need to take a strategic approach to the AP exam preparation.
So whether you’re just starting to think about taking AP exams or you are already registered. We will discuss how to prepare for AP exams. We will cover everything from starting early to taking practice tests and also provide you with some tips for test day.
Read on for our advice on how to prepare for AP exams and succeed.
AP Exam Schedule for 2024
The AP exam 2024 will be conducted over two weeks in the month of May
- Week 1: May 6, 2024 – Friday, May 10, 2024
- Week 2: May 13, 2024 – May 17, 2024
- Week 3 (Late exam): May 22, 2024 – May 24, 2023
When should you start studying for AP exams?
It is recommended to start your preparations for the AP exams at least three to four months before the exam start date.
The best time to start studying for AP exams depends on factors like
- Individual learning pace
- The difficulty of the subject matter
- Exam date
This will give you enough time to go through all the material thoroughly and identify any areas that you need to improve in. Starting early also helps to reduce the stress of cramming the material at the last minute and allows for more time to practice, take practice exams, and attend review sessions. Ultimately, the earlier you start studying for AP exams, the more time you will have to adequately prepare and feel confident going into the exam.
7 tips on how to prepare for AP exams
AP exams are tough, no debate there but that doesn’t mean that you cannot plan ahead and prepare better with relevant practice tests and perform well. We have compiled some tips and suggestions for you to prepare better for the AP exams. These tips can also serve as a checklist for your test preparation.
The key to success for any type of exam is to start early. You shouldn’t start your preparation just one month early and look for tips to prepare for the exam within one month. This means that you should begin reviewing the material you learned in class well before the exam date. So, start the preparation at least 3-4 months before the exam dates. This will give you enough time to review all the material thoroughly and identify any areas that you need to focus more.
Review your course materials
Before you start studying for the AP exams, it is essential to review your course materials. This will help you identify the topics that you need to focus on and ensure that you have covered all the necessary material. Review your class notes, textbooks, and other materials to refresh your memory on the topics you learned in class.
Create a study plan
Making a study timetable can help you stay focused and avoid missing important material. A study plan and schedule can also help to make things easier and faster. Once you’ve mastered the subject, cross it off your list and keep moving on to the next.
Take the AP practice test
AP practice tests can help you become accustomed to the testing format, give you an idea of the type of questions you’ll get in the actual exam, and help you identify the areas you need to focus more. You can find practice exams online, in review guides, or through your AP teacher. You can also find many relevant AP online practice tests with both MCQs and FRQs in the AP exam format.
Another way to practice for the AP exams is to practice from past question papers. You get the best relevant and tons of questions, that is official, for all AP courses from the past question papers.
Attend review sessions
Many schools offer review sessions for AP exams. These sessions are led by teachers or tutors and provide students with an opportunity to ask questions and review material in a group setting. Attending review sessions can help you clarify any confusing topics and get additional practice with the material.
Try not to cram
Last-minute preparation can cause more harm than good. You should begin studying for your AP exams early and at a slow and consistent pace. To avoid becoming overwhelmed, stick to a timetable for a prolonged period of time and minimize long and exhausting study sessions.
Get expert online tutoring
Online tutoring is a great way to prepare for AP exams because it offers expert tutors, flexible scheduling, personalized attention, and a convenient online platform. Many services like Wyzant, Wiingy, and Varsity Tutors offer AP test preparation.
AP Prep Resources
- College Board: The official AP administrator offers students access to AP courses, practice AP tests, exam information, and mentoring programs on the AP Central section of its website.
- The NROC Project: Here, you can get open access to numerous educational resources, including AP classes, review materials, AP prep exams, and personalized support.
- Kaplan: A famous test prep company, Kaplan provides prep resources for various standardized and national tests, including AP exams. Visit Kaplan’s website to access AP class materials, practice tests, and review sessions.
- AP Practice Exams: This site offers students access to AP prep tests in various subjects. Take advantage of free AP study guides, practice questions, and various other resources.
- Wiingy: Wiingy offers online AP tutoring from experienced tutors. They can help you understand the concepts and practice answering questions for your AP exam.
Preparing for the AP exam day
Just preparing for the AP test won’t be enough. You should keep other things in mind too while preparing for AP exams.
The day before the AP exam:
- Review your notes and materials. This will help you to solidify your understanding of the material and identify any areas where you need more work.
- Check the location of your testing center. This will give you time to relax and reach the center on time.
- Eat a healthy meal. This will give you the energy you need to focus on the exam.
- Get a good sleep. This will help you to be well-rested and alert on test day.
On the day of the AP exam:
- Bring all of your required materials. This includes your AP identification card, pencils, erasers, and a calculator.
- Read the instructions carefully. This will help you to understand how the exam is structured and how to answer the questions.
- Pace yourself. There is no need to rush through the exam. Take your time and answer the questions carefully. If you find a question that you are struggling with, skip it and come back to it later.
- Stay focused. It is easy to get distracted during a long exam, but it is important to stay focused on the task at hand.
Preparing for AP exams can be challenging and stressful, but with the right strategies and mindset, you can maximize your chances of success. Starting early, reviewing your course materials, using review guides, taking practice exams, attending review sessions, staying organized, and taking care of yourself are all important steps in the exam preparation process.
By following these tips, you can ensure that you are well-prepared for AP exams and feel confident going into it. Remember to stay focused, work hard, and take care of yourself both physically and mentally. With dedication and effort, you can achieve your goals and excel on your AP exams.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
How long should you study for the AP exam?
Ideally, the AP exam preparations should begin 3-4 months before the AP exam dates. This depends on your expertise in the course material, the length of the course, and exam dates.
What are 3 steps you will take to help you prepare for the AP exam?
There are many tips and suggestions you can work with to prepare for your AP exam. The top 3 important steps will be:
1. Start early
2. Create a study plan
3. Practice, practice, and practice.
How to study for AP exams in a month?
It is not the best idea to start your preparation just one month before the exam date. Every AP course has 8-10 units
What is the hardest AP class?
The top 5 hardest AP classes are, AP Physics 1, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism, and AP Physics C: Mechanics. This list is based on both the exam pass rate and student’s reviews.
What is the highest failed AP exam?
AP Physics 1 is considered the highest failed AP exam based on both the exam pass rate and student’s reviews. The pass rate of AP Physics 1 is 7.90% and according to student’s reviews, it is termed a “very difficult” AP course.